Maintaining and trimming your lawn can be hard (trust me, I’ve been there). However, with the help of the best trimmer line, this taxing process can be done in a breeze. String trimmers use trimmer lines to easily and efficiently cut down the weed and vegetation around your house. String trimmers are also called weed eater or weed whacker.
Picking the proper trimmer line is crucial for a painless weed eating process. If you choose the wrong trimmer line for your lawn and your string trimmer, you’ll face hours of frustration. If you still don’t have your trimmer line, then this article is for you. Here, we’re going to have a look at some of the top rated trimmer lines you can ever find on the market.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Trimmer Lines in 2020
- Top 10 Best Trimmer Line Reviews in 2020
- 1. Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gatorline
- 2. Anleolife Square Trimmer Line
- 3. Rotary 12179 Vortex Trimmer Line
- 4. Husqvarna Titanium Force Trimmer Line
- 5. EGO Power+ AL2450S Twist Line
- 6. Cyclone Commercial Grade Trimmer Line
- 7. Rotary 12175 Vortex Trimmer Line
- 8. TIRDITY Trimmer Line Best for Lawn
- 9. Seahawk Trimmer Line
- 10. RedMax Maxline Trimmer Line
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Trimmer Line
- How to Make Your Trimmer Line Last
Comparison of 10 Best Trimmer Lines in 2020
|Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gatorline|
|Anleolife Square Trimmer Line|
|Rotary 12179 Vortex Trimmer Line|
|Husqvarna String Trimmer Lines|
|EGO Power+ AL2450S Twist Line|
|Cyclone Grass Trimmer Line|
|Rotary 12175 Vortex Trimmer Line|
|TIRDITY Trimmer Line|
|Seahawk Trimmer Line|
|RedMax Maxline Trimmer Line|
Top 10 Best Trimmer Line Reviews in 2020
Without further ado, here are my trimmer line reviews of the top 10 trimmer lines you can use for maintaining your lawn:
1. Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gatorline
- Color: Gray
- Length: 700 feet
- Material: Dual Polyme
- Dimensions: 8 x 8 x 9 inches
The Magnum Gatorline from Oregon is a heavy duty trimmer line that’s made from a dual polymer material to make it durable and tougher compared to other best trimmer lines on the market. It’s a fairly lightweight commercial-grade trimmer that works well on trimming large areas in your yard. Apart from that, it has a weld-resistant outer layer and a break-resistant inner layer for added durability.
It also comes with an impressive 685 feet of line. Due to its square design, the Magnum line can easily cut through all types of grass with ease. It’s also fairly easy to wind on your trimmer, and the fact that it can work with various models is a really good consideration. By far, this is one of my favorites due to its superior durability and efficient performance. Despite all that, there are some minor issues you can experience when using it.
First, the material is fairly soft, causing it to get stuck in concrete and plants which will cause the string to break. Second, it can quickly wear down if used more often. Even though it’s not specified for use on a specific brand, you might come across some differences in terms of performance when used on different trimmer brands and models.
- Can work on various string trimmer brands and models
- Ideal for cutting thick grass
- Almost 700 feet long
- Quite durable
- Might not work well on other trimmer brands
- Offers less line per roll
2. Anleolife Square Trimmer Line
- Color: Orange
- Length: 280 ft
- Material: Plasticized
- Dimensions: 7.8 x 6.9 x 4.4 inches
The next product I would like to recommend is this heavy-duty line from Anleolife. Despite the brand itself not being as popular as the other ones I included in this list, you can still expect a lot of amazing features from this. Just like Magnum, this one is a heavy-duty string trimmer line that’s made of nylon 66 copolymer, thereby giving it that superior durability and power. It’s thick enough to trim the thickest weeds in your lawn without any problem of breaking.
With the Anleolife trimmer line, you can get up to 1,200 feet of trimmer line. This means that you will be able to use it for a very long time. However, this could also mean having to pay a bit more than your typical trimmer line, but it’s definitely worth every penny with all the features you’re getting. Ideally, you can use it as a replacement for your electric or gas trimmer. One of the best things about this product is that it comes with a bonus trim line cutter to help make lawn maintenance a lot easier.
- Very long cutting line
- Includes a free line cutter
- Fairly expensive
3. Rotary 12179 Vortex Trimmer Line
- Color: Black
- Length: 1140′
- Dimensions: 9.2 x 6.5 x 9.2 inches
The vortex trimmer line from Rotary is capable of providing with a better value and service compared to most other trimmer lines on the market. First of all, it’s one of the longest best trimmer lines on the market with a length of 1,140 feet. Aside from that, it’s also durable and powerful enough to cut through all types of grass quickly and easily.
It features a slight twist which is believed by some landscapers makes it practically indestructible due to a reduction in turbulence and an increase in aerodynamics. When you use this trimmer line for your lawn maintenance, you’ll be able to get some nice and smooth cuts. If you’re looking for a solid and long-lasting option for a trimmer line, then this one from Rotary might just be what you need.
- Fairly long and long-lasting
- Can cut through all types of grass
- Might break off when used for heavy-duty trimming
4. Husqvarna Titanium Force Trimmer Line
- Color: Orange/Gray
- Length: 840 ft
- Material: Co-polymer
- Dimensions: 10,080 x 0.1 x 0.1 inches
The Titanium Force trimmer line from Husqvarna is made of copolymer to make it quite durable for heavy-duty applications. Also, as it’s designed using advanced cutting technology, you can expect it to work faster and longer compared to other trimmer line brands on the market. One of its best features is its low-noise design which reduces the noise level by up to 50%.
This ensures a very quiet operation each time you work on your lawn. Also, its faster speed means you only need less fuel to finish your trimming job. Put simply, it’s a really energy-efficient and eco-friendly option. Aside from that, the Titanium Force trimmer line also has excellent resistance to welding. This means that you won’t notice any instances of welding even if you run your trimmer at full throttle.
It also includes a free line cutter on the package which is a really nice addition to have. Overall, this is a really excellent trimmer line you want to consider buying to keep your lawn well-maintained at all times. Its durable construction, multi-edge cutting technology, and low-noise design all ensure to provide you with excellent performance.
- Cuts noise output by half
- Consumes less fuel
- Quite durable and flexible
- Only suited for residential use
5. EGO Power+ AL2450S Twist Line
- Length: 160 ft
- Power Source: 56-Volt
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 1.4 x 6.5 inches
The AL2450S twist line from EGO Power+ features a professional-grade line with a twisted design. This makes it more advantageous compared to the standard round line in most trimmer lines. Due to its twisted shape, it comes with sharper edges to allow it to cut through grass with ease.
Compared to the other lines on this list, however, this one is fairly short at only 160 feet. Still, if you’re looking for an affordable yet somewhat reliable best trimmer line, then this is something you might want to consider.
- Made of professional-grade material
- Comes with a twisted line shape
- Quite short
6. Cyclone Commercial Grade Trimmer Line
- Color: Red
- Length: 700 foot
- Material: Copolymer Nylon
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 9.8 x 6.5 inches
If you’re a professional landscaper who needs a trimmer line for cutting down heavy weed, then this trimmer line from Cyclone is for you. It’s made of special copolymer to make sure it can cut down thick grasses with ease while still remain durable at the same time. It comes in a roll of 690 feet which is fairly long enough, and even though it’s a little bit expensive than the other trimmer lines, you can surely rely on the performance and durability that it offers.
Apart from that, it comes with a patented 6-blade shape for superior cutting ability. However, due to its unique shape, you have to be extra careful when threading it, otherwise, it will break. The cyclone trimmer line comes in a red color which is actually pretty handy since it helps you quickly find any broken pieces while cutting grasses on your lawn.
- Designed for heavy-duty commercial work
- Features a patented 6-blade design
- Quite thick and durable
- Requires extra care when threading
7. Rotary 12175 Vortex Trimmer Line
- Color: Black
- Length: 685′
- Material: Nylon
- Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 7 inches
This is yet another quality trimmer line from Rotary. Just like the 12179 vortex trimmer line, this one can provide high-quality trimming performance for your trimmer. However, it’s a bit shorter at only 685 feet. Despite that, it’s more than enough to get the job done with ease by cutting through all grass types without any problems at all.
Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any further information about this one, but based on what people have been saying, it certainly is a durable best trimmer line that’s compatible with a number of trimmer brands and models.
- Can last for quite a long time
- A bit cheaper than the other vortex trimmer line
- No additional information whatsoever on the product
8. TIRDITY Trimmer Line Best for Lawn
- Color: Orange
- Length: 885 ft
- Material: Nylon
- Dimensions: 8 x 7.9 x 6.6 inches
The TIRDITY trimmer line is one of the more affordable choices I have on this list. It comes in a bright, orange color which allows you to easily spot any broken or chipped off pieces on your lawn while trimming. The line is made of nylon to make sure it can be quite durable while allowing it to cut through thick grasses with ease. Due to its heavy-duty construction, you can expect it to last for a longer time without too many issues of breaking.
It can be used on various applications including landscaping, agriculture, and garden maintenance. You can also use it on a grass trimmer. Overall, this trimmer line from TIRDITY is a great quality product that’s durable, efficient, and easy to use. If you need an affordable trimmer line for your lawn maintenance, then I would recommend this as a solid choice.
- Efficient and easy to use
- Comes in a bright, orange color
- Made of durable nylon
- The product is fairly new so it’s somehow hard to pinpoint its downsides
9. Seahawk Trimmer Line
- Color: Green
- Length: 785 feet
- Material: Nylon
- Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 6.5 inches
Designed mainly to handle heavy-duty trimming jobs, the Seahawk trimmer line comes with a star-shaped design which can effectively enhance its strength. As a result, you can expect less breakage and a longer-lasting performance from this trimmer line.
It comes in a bright, neon green color to make it easier to spot any broken or chipped off pieces on your yard. However, due to its commercial-grade nylon construction, you don’t really have to worry too much about breakage anyway. All in all, the Seahawk best trimmer line measures 785 feet which is fairly long enough for your lawn maintenance needs.
- Extra strong quality due to its star-shaped design
- Made of durable commercial-grade nylon
- Less prone to breakage
- Not much information about the product
10. RedMax Maxline Trimmer Line
- Color: Red
- Length: 750 feet
- Dimensions: 0.1 x 0.1 x 9,000 inches
Last on this list is the RedMax Maxline trimmer line which is marketed as a super heavy-duty trimmer line by its manufacturer. As a premium trimmer line, you can expect excellent cutting performance from this product. It’s also less prone to breakage due to its high-quality and durable material.
Moreover, the trimmer line features a twisted cable shape to increase efficiency while reducing overall fuel consumption. It works best on a wide variety of trimmers including that of Husqvarna, Craftsman, and a whole lot more. Overall, it has a total length of 750 feet which is long enough to last you for a long time. Lastly, it has a bonus line cutter included in its package.
- Designed for heavy-duty weed cutting
- Reduces fuel consumption
- Compatible with a lot of trimmers
- There’s not much info about the product
Factors to Consider When Buying a Trimmer Line
A string trimmer is generally used for trimming and cutting grass and weeds on your garden. However, heavy-duty trimmers are also capable of cutting thick bushes that are not possible with the use of a lawnmower. Due to that, you have to make sure you pick the right trimmer line for the job. That said, here are the factors you have to consider when you plan to buy the best weed trimmer line on the market:
The material used for making the trimmer line will determine how efficient it will be in cutting grass and how durable it will be. You can normally come across trimmer lines that are made of different materials including nylon, copolymer, titanium, plastic, and more. Nylon tends to be the most common material among them.
However, it’s only ideal for light-duty trimming jobs as it has the tendency to break when taking on heavy-duty trimming. Fortunately, some manufacturers address the issue by using materials like composite or reinforced nylon to make their lines a lot more durable. On the other hand, if you need a best trimmer line that’s intended for heavy-duty trimming, then you might want to consider lines that are made of either aluminum, titanium, or synthetic polymers.
Of them all, titanium lines are probably the best material that I can recommend. After all, titanium has light characteristics that allow for excellent performance without friction. Moreover, it consumes less fuel and can accelerate quicker compared to the other materials. The downside is that titanium lines tend to be a lot more expensive.
You might not believe it, but the shape of a trimmer line can actually affect its performance. Basically, trimmer lines are available in either round, square, serrated, multi-sided, and twisted shapes. Let’s have a look at each of them and their specific characteristics:
- Round – round lines are ideal for small trimming jobs. Out of all the trimmer line shapes, they’re the least durable and powerful. Therefore, if you’re only planning to trim grass in your lawn, then they are your most ideal option.
- Twisted – trimmer lines that have a twisted shape are a lot more powerful compared to round lines. Apart from that, they also produce less vibration and noise when trimming. Overall, you can expect clean cuts when using a trimmer line with a twisted shape.
- Square – square lines have sharper edges compared to round lines. Apart from that, they cut through grass and weeds as opposed to simply tearing them.
- Serrated – serrated lines are ideal for lawns that have a lot of thick weeds. They’re also quite sharper due to their saw-like design featuring teeth that can deal with thick weeds and grass without any issues.
- Multi-sided – lastly, we have the multi-sided trimmer lines which, as the name implies, come with multiple sides for a cleaner cut, such as a star shape. Due to that, they can easily slice through heavy weeds efficiently, thereby resulting in an even cut.
A trimmer line’s durability is a factor used to determine the size of the material it’s capable of handling. The general rule of thumb is to use thick lines for tougher weeds and grass as they generally have more power and are more durable. However, your choice of a diameter for your trimmer line will depend on your specific application. Trimmer lines are available in three different levels of diameter sizes which are as follows:
- Light diameters –measure between 0.065 inches and 0.08 inches and are intended for light trimming work like trimming residential back and front lawns.
- Medium diameters – ranging from 0.08 to 0.105, these lines are designed for medium trimming work such as trimming larger front and back lawns as well as light commercial trimming.
- Large diameters – these are commercial-grade lines that are designed for industrial landscaping, golf courses, large yards, and other areas that require heavy trimming.
It’s also important to consider a trimmer line’s compatibility with your trimmer. After all, it won’t be of any use if it can’t fit at all. Fortunately, there are a lot of trimmer lines on the market that are designed to be compatible with a lot of trimmer brands and models.
Still, you want to make sure that your chosen line is compatible with your specific trimmer brand and model. You can do this by checking your trimmer’s manual to see the line sizes it can take.
I highly recommend checking how many feet of lines you can get when shopping for a best trimmer line. When shopping, you’ll notice that trimmer lines normally come in spools. However, lines with a longer spool don’t necessarily mean better.
If you go for a heavy-duty line, you don’t really need it to be too long since it doesn’t require replacement too often. A long line with a cheaper price might be quite tempting, but you’ll soon find out that it breaks twice faster than a quality line.
The last thing you want to consider is the price. A heavy-duty line will normally cost you a bit more, but it also allows you to save more money in the long run. It’s because you don’t have to replace it more frequently, thereby allowing you to save not just money but time and effort as well.
However, this doesn’t mean you have to spend more on a quality trimmer line. Some of the best rated string trimmer lines on the market are actually available at very affordable prices.
How to Make Your Trimmer Line Last
One of the issues I used to face when using my string trimmer is that the lines tend to break easily. Back then, this has cost me a considerable sum of money since I had to replace my trimmer lines every now and then.
Fortunately, you don’t have to suffer from the same fate that I did. By learning how to use your weed eater properly, you can actually make your trimmer line last for a longer time. Without further ado, here are some efficient weed whacking techniques you want to follow:
- Make sure to keep the string parallel to the ground at all times. This will prevent it from hitting any hard material like rocks and dirt.
- Pay attention to the sound and performance of your string trimmer. This might take a while of practice, but you’ll be glad to know that it will help you save a lot of trimmer line in the long run.
- Don’t overfeed your trimmer with a lot of string. Doing so will only cause the string to keep coming out, causing them to get cut by the blade. As a rule of thumb, feed only when necessary.
- Don’t leave your line in direct sunlight as it will only cause it to deteriorate faster. Instead, it’s best to soak it in the water to make it last longer while preparing it for the next trimming session.
There are tons of trimmer lines on the market, and your choice will depend on your lawn maintenance needs as well as the type of trimmer you have. Hopefully, my reviews of the best weed trimmer lines on the market will help you decide which is the best trimmer line for your lawn. Good luck with your search!