A good workbench is nearly as paramount as any tool. Portable workbenches are a great and versatile alternative to larger permanent workbenches. The best portable workbench allows you to keep an assortment of tools at hand without having to make multiple trips from the workbench to the tool room or tool rack. Being portable, you can also set up the workbench near a car during repairs.
These days, you can find many great compact workbenches in plastic or wood. Many come with work surfaces that open and close like a clamp and even have metal bases for sturdy storage. Some can even transform into a dolly, creeper, scaffold, or sawhorse.
For serious professionals, a big heavy work surface with an end vise, bench dogs, and pattern maker’s vise is the ultimate. But for home-projects and weekend DIYers, or with people not having adequate space in their sheds or garages, the best portable workbench with good clamping ability will work for the majority of tasks required in woodworking, automotive repairs, etc.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 7 Best Portable Workbenches in 2021
- Top 7 Best Portable Workbench Reviews in 2021
- How to Select the Best Portable Workbench
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Comparison of 7 Best Portable Workbenches in 2021
Top 7 Best Portable Workbench Reviews in 2021
In this guide, we will discuss 7 of the best portable workbenches for your garage and also enlist some features to consider when selecting the best professional portable workbench.
1. WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Work Table
- Bench Height: 35 inch
- Weight Capacity: Up to 300 lbs
- Warranty: 3 Years Manufacturer’s
- Work Surface Area: 31 x 25 inch
When you want to do things yourself, you want them done better, smarter, and faster. Thanks to WORX Pegasus, you can. This multi-function work table converts into a sawhorse within minutes and it also secures things safely and securely to it. It can support a load up to 300 lb when used as a work table. and as a sawhorse, it can even carry 1000 lbs. with ease.
Transitioning between the two is also super easy. Pegasus light and sturdy best portable jobsite workbench weighs just about 25 lb. and its foldable and portable design quickly lets you set up your work bench near a car for repairs or pretty much anywhere you want a reliable working surface.
The WORX also has a lower storage shelf for your tools. The reliable construction of the Pegasus made from sturdy and durable ABS material with steel supports and fittings makes it the best portable workbench. Pegasus WORX portable workbench comes pre-assembled so you are ready to use it as soon as you unbox it!
Dimensions/Specs of the Pegasus Are:
- Folded – 35 x 25 x 5 (inches) (H x W x D)
- Open – 31 x 25 x 32(H) – inches
- The clamps can handle materials up to 18” with a max force of up to 300 lb.
- Collapsible and lightweight
- High load capacity
- Easy to understand instruction manual
- Comes pre-assembled
- Easy to fold
- Sturdy and durable
- Surface is not level
- Some users reported shakes and wobbles
2. BLACK+DECKER Workmate Portable Workbench
- Bench Height: 29 inch
- Weight Capacity: Up to 350 lbs
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Work Surface Area: 9 x 24 inch
Black+Decker WorkmateⓇ is versatile, durable, and portable. Its ability to withstand loads up to 350 lbs makes it a perfect addition to any DIYer’s workshop, garage, or work shed. It is easy to carry from shed to garage to anywhere else you might need it for repairs.
It also folds flat very easily so you can store it without it occupying too much space. Non-skid feet prevent the benches from moving while you work. Black+Decker WorkmateⓇ has a sturdy construction with wooden vise jaws.
Its adjustable swivel pegs can easily clamp any sized object, no matter how irregularly shaped they may be. The jaws also can be angled to fit different objects. They are quite sturdy and do not warp or bend easily. WorkmateⓇ is easily the best portable jobsite workbench that is also affordable.
Dimensions/Specs of the WorkmateⓇ Are:
- Weight – 15 lbs.
- Work surface area 9 x 24 inches
- Bench height 29 – 3/4th inches
- Diagonal clamping – 24
- Parallel clamping -10-¾
- Some people found it tough to assemble
3. Seville Classics UltraHD Top Workbench Table
- Bench Height: 28.5 to 42 inch
- Weight Capacity: Up to 1000 lbs
- Warranty: Limited 1 Year Manufacturer’s
- Work Surface Area: 48 x 24 inch
With the Seville Classics Ultra HD height-adjustable workbench, your projects will be a lot easier. This is the perfect work-from-home table for the DIYers who wish to remain productive and active in the comforts of their home.
Dimensions/Specs of Seville Classics Ultra HD Height-Adjustable Workbench Are:
- 48 x 24 x 15 inches with a 4-foot wide work surface
- 75-inch-thick hardwood top.
- You can adjust the table’s height from 28.5 to 42 inches.
- Its heavy-duty frame and powder-coated body can easily withstand a load of 1000 lbs.
- Easy to assemble
- Stable and sturdy
- High-quality materials
- Raising-lowering mechanism stopped working in some units after a few months of use
4. Kreg Mobile Project Center Workbench
- Weight Capacity: Up to 350 lbs
- Work Surface Area: 27.5 x 31.5 inch
Kreg KWS1000 is a heavy-duty portable workbench that has multiple work surfaces. This allows you a greater stretch as well as versatility. Its quick folding up and opening options also ensure that you can quickly get on with your work. The well-designed KWS1000 has holes on the work surface which allows you to secure tools and accessories.
It also comes with storage trays, auto-adjust clamps, and four bench dogs to help increase your productivity. Its locking feature comes with easy-release tabs. As a part of the accessories that come with the Kreg KWS1000, you get horizontal and vertical clamps.
You can choose to buy several KWS1000 and create a larger workstation- expandable workbench makes it easy to pair with other tables of this kind. No more waste of time, the KWS opens up and folds within seconds!
Dimensions/Specs of the Kreg KWS1000:
- With the Kreg KWS1000, you get a work surface area of 27.5 x 31.5 inches.
- You also get sturdy heavy-gauge steel legs that can withstand loads up to 350 lbs.
- 4 modes of operation: sawhorse, workstation, assembly table, clamping station
- Comes with multiple clamping accessories
- Built-in storage trays
- Easy to assemble and fold
- Heavy to carry
5. OEMTOOLS Portable Tear Down Tray
- Bench Height: 33.5 to 49.2 inch
- Weight Capacity: Up to 55 lbs
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime
- Work Surface Area: 29.1 x 20.1 inch
There is a reason why OEMTOOLS 24616 portable workbench has received some of the best portable workbench reviews. This is a rolling, portable workbench that keeps tools available to you wherever you need them. It has all the qualities one seeks in a mechanic’s or DIYers work area: durability, organization, and height-adjustment, portability, etc.
The OEMTOOLS 24616 is durable thanks to an all-steel construction. It also has a rust and corrosion-resistant powder coating, rugged casters, and high-quality foam workspace. The tray is rated to hold 55 lb.
Dimensions of Oemtools 24616 Top Rated Portable Workbench:
- OEMTOOLS 24616 has an adjust bench Height from 33.5 to 49.2 inches so you don’t have to bend too much.
- The EVA work foam work area is spacious with dimensions 29.1 x 20.1 inches. This is further divided into three smaller compartments for keeping pins, smaller tools, nuts, accessories, bolts, etc.
- Extremely well-built, thick, and sturdy
- Easy to assemble
- Value for money
- Paint gets chipped and cracked
6. Disston Multi-Purpose Portable Workbench
- Weight Capacity: Up to 500 lbs
- Warranty: 2 Years limited
- Work Surface Area: 37.5 X 18.3 inch
Disston 30140 4-in-1 portable workbench can be easily transitioned into a workbench, dolly, creeper, and even a scaffold! As a scaffold, it provides firm and stable support and does not slip. As dolly or creeper, you can use this best portable workbench to move stuff around.
Other top features of the Disston 30140 include a 110 V power strip, roller and protractor, accessory storage tray, drill hole guide, steel hammer surface, cutting groove, reversible top panel, etc. It is also fitted with a handle.
Dimensions/Specs of Disston 30140 Are:
- It features a large work-area with dimensions 37.5 x 18.3 inches where you can measure, cut, drill or hammer stuff.
- Disston best rated portable workbench can withstand heavy loads with rated capacity up to 500 lbs.
- Easy to assemble, fold, and open
- Very heavy to roll
7. Keter Folding Compact Adjustable Workbench
- Bench Height: 30.3 to 34.2 inch
- Weight Capacity: Up to 700 lbs
- Warranty: 2 Years Manufacture’s
Hobbyists, DIYers, professional workmen love this diy portable workbench that can handle any difficult tasks. This heavy-duty best portable workbench can go anywhere you want it to go. It is constructed from sturdy heavy-duty resin and has portable aluminum legs that can easily withstand loads of 315 kilos or 700lbs.
The workbench comes with carrying handles that make it easy to transport. You also get two adjustable holding clamps to secure your projects and materials. The best part about the Keter portable workbenches is that it can be opened in mere 30 seconds.
Dimensions/Specs of Keter Best Portable Foldable Workbench:
- Regular – 33.46 x 21.65 x 29.75 inches
- Adjustable dimensions are 33.46 x 21.65 x 33.75 inches. Its sturdy aluminum legs can be raised 4 inches.
- Supports loads up to 300 lb.
- Portable, adjustable, flexible
- Quick opening in 30 seconds
- AdjusBench Height
- Sturdy carrying handle
- Clamps are not sturdy enough
How to Select the Best Portable Workbench
The perfect workbench is the one that works best for your needs – for the work you do – most of the time. Here are some features to consider when selecting the best professional portable workbench.
Consider carefully the kind of projects you wish to perform on the workbench. If you have a variety of projects, then one table may not serve all the needs. In such a case, go in for a 4-in-1 table that folds up and functions as a scaffold, sawhorse, dolly, creeper, and even an assembly area.
Alternatively, you can consider keeping several work benches: one for general-purpose needs and others for woodworking, assembling, carving, sharpening, etc. Based on your needs, you would also need a non-slip surface or look for a table with clamps provided that help lock your material in place.
Dimensions and Load Capacity
The dimensions of your cheap portable workbench will also depend on the kind of projects you undertake. Classic workbench dimensions are 2 feet wide and 6 feet long and this suits most requirements. If you work or build on a larger scale, you will need wider and larger surface area.
A good height for a portable workbench is between 34 to 39 inches. Make sure the portable workbench top has an overhang of at least 4 inches. This will come in handy if you wish to clamp something to the surface. Thickness of the workbench top should be at least 3 inches.
For heavy-duty work where you depend on your table to withstand huge loads, look for benches with rated load capacity of at least 500 lbs. For most weekend DIYers, a rated load capacity of 300 lb. is sufficient.
It is always good to have storage space to keep tools, accessories, and anything else you need frequently for the projects you handle. This will help save trips to and from the tool racks/tool sheds.
The last thing you want is to spend huge amounts of time figuring out instructions to open or close the workbench. Select the best portable foldable workbench that can open up or close within seconds so you can get on with your work. It should come with a clear, well-written instruction manual.
Compact/Lightweight/Easy to Store
Depending on the space you have available in your garage or work-space, look for a small, compact, and lightweight bench that can be easily folded and stored without getting in the way.
If you plan to carry the bench to another work area, it should be lightweight enough. Alternatively, you can choose a bench with sturdy, 360-degree rolling casters that can help you roll the bench to the designated work area. If wheels are not available, the bench should be equipped with side handles for ease of transportation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How Durable Is a Portable Workbench?
A: Several workbenches are designed with plastic, and this makes them lighter than the permanent workbench. Generally, the best portable workbench made with plastic is not as durable as steel or wood.
Also, portable workbenches come with moveable joints that make them collapse. Hence, they are weaker than a regular workbench devoid of moving parts. However, provided you maintain your portable workbench, it can last several years.
Q: What Is the Maximum Weight the Portable Workbench Can Handle?
A: The weight a portable workbench can handle differs across several products. For the lightweight ones, they can take up to a weight of 250 pounds. This weight is ideal for those who have workshops at home. On the other hand, the heavy-duty ones can take up to a weight of 1000 pounds. Hence, before you buy a portable workbench, you need to determine its use to make the right choice.
Q: What Are the Outstanding Qualities of a Good Portable Workbench?
A: First off, a good portable workbench should be long-lasting to manage the ruggedness of a workshop. It should also come with a steady base, which prevents it from being unstable during work. Also, it should have clamping features to hold the materials in place securely.
Q: What Types of Workbenches Are There?
A: Mainly four types. The woodworker’s bench is the most popularly known as a workbench. Aside from that, there’s also a cabinetmaker’s bench, backboard workbench, and portable bench.
Q: Should I Build or Buy a Workbench?
A: It’s best to buy a workbench. If you’re looking for efficiency and comfort, investing in a good quality workbench is an excellent idea as it will serve you for years, even decades. While building a workbench from scratch might seem like a nice adventure and less expensive, there’s a good chance you’ll ruin it unless you have quite a few years of experience and mastery of woodworking under your belt.
The best portable workbench is an economical and versatile alternative to larger, permanent benches. It can make a great companion to a full-size workbench and can meet most of your needs.
We recommend the WORX Pegasus. It is foldable/collapsible and lightweight and has a high load-bearing capacity. It also comes pre-assembled and has well-written instructions for you to follow with ease. Do check out our other recommendations in the list above.