A garden tiller is a manual or an engine powered, walk-behind cutting tool used for breaking or tilling the ground for planting and weeding. The best garden tiller comes with a powerful engine having a rating of 3-10 hp, typically four-stroke, with a horizontal crankshaft.
These machines have high torque that helps you easily cut through the topsoil. If your garden is an acre or more in size, you will do well to buy the best garden tiller that can till and weed wider. A high-quality garden tiller can help you easily weed a large garden in minutes.
It can also perform other tasks from lawn care to weeding to more, and can be easily used by senior people as well as people with physical limitations. In this guide, we will discuss 10 of the best garden tiller reviews so you can make an informed choice.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Garden Tillers in 2021
- Top 10 Best Garden Tiller Reviews in 2021
- 1. Earthwise TC70001 Corded Electric Tiller
- 2. Sun Joe TJ604E Electric Garden Tiller
- 3. BLACK+DECKER LGC120AM MAX Tiller
- 4. Greenworks 27072 Corded Tiller
- 5. Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis Tiller
- 6. Yard Butler Rotary Cultivator Garden Tiller
- 7. Earthquake MC440 Mini Cultivator
- 8. TACKLIFE TGTL01A Advanced Tiller
- 9. Mantis 3558 Cordless Tiller/Cultivator
- 10. SuperHandy Mini Tiller Cultivator
- Factors to Consider When Selecting the Best Garden Tiller/Cultivator
Comparison of 10 Best Garden Tillers in 2021
|Earthwise Corded Electric Tiller|
|Sun Joe Electric Garden Tiller|
|BLACK+DECKER MAX Tiller|
|Greenworks Corded Tiller|
|Schiller Grounds Care Mantis Tiller|
|Yard Butler Rotary Garden Tiller|
|Earthquake Mini Cultivator|
|TACKLIFE Advanced Tiller|
|Mantis Cordless Tiller|
|SuperHandy Mini Tiller|
Top 10 Best Garden Tiller Reviews in 2021
1. Earthwise TC70001 Corded Electric Tiller
- Weight: 27.4 lbs
- Power Supply: Corded electric
- Tilling Blades: 4 blades
Earthwise electric tiller comes with a cutting width of 11-inches which is perfect for most gardens. It 8.5A powerful motor rotates 4 heavy-duty, durable, steel tines which remove weeds and top soil to keep your garden in mint condition. Earthwise TC70001 comes with a convenient cord hook for securing extension cords on the electric tiller.
Large wheels on the rear end of the cultivator allow easy transport. The tiller is also lightweight making it easy for people with all kinds of ability levels to use it. Being completely manual, the tiller does not need any fuel or regular maintenance. Starting the tiller is also rather easy.
The safety switch and the cord retention hook make the startup and stoppage easy. The tiller weeds and cuts topsoil about 11” wide and 8” deep making it ideal for small, medium, and large gardens. No gardening task is difficult for this cultivator.
- Equipped with safety features
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Easy to assemble
- Ideal for small to medium-size gardens
- Overheating and starting problems reported
2. Sun Joe TJ604E Electric Garden Tiller
- Color: Black
- Material: Steel
- Tilling Blades: 6 blades
- Include: 3-Position Wheel Adjustment, Folding Handle
The Sun Joe TJ604E is one tiller that is up to any task you put it to. The tiller is equipped with a quick-start switch as well as a safety switch both of which are located on the handles. This helps users access them quickly. The tillers collapsible handle also allows for easy storage. Its 3-position manual wheel allows convenient height adjustment.
Sun Joe is equipped with a powerful 13.5 A motor which cultivates topsoil 16 inches wide and 8 inches deep. Sun Joe tiller is equipped with 6 durable steel angle tines that cut wide and deep to help you finish all your tilling and weeding tasks quickly and easily.
- Power up reliably – no gas or fuel needed
- Easy to assemble and use
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Easy to store
- Wet dirt cakes on the tines
- Difficult to weed out crabgrass
3. BLACK+DECKER LGC120AM MAX Tiller
- Power Supply: Cordless-Battery
- Dimensions: 8.38 x 7.75 x 41.5 inch
- Include: Adjustable handle, Telescoping tube, Soft-grip handle
The best garden tiller to buy from Black+Decker consists of dual tines which are corrosion resistant and sturdy. They easily cut through to soil to help you easily remove weeds. The 20V tiller comes with a powerful lithium ion battery which lasts long per charge and works harder so you don’t have to.
You can easily cover 325 square feet per charge of the Black+Decker battery. Their counter-oscillating tines prevent stopping of the machine – a drawback of many tillers which stop working when they encounter stubborn weeds. As with all Black+Decker products, you also get a commitment towards more sustainable and eco-friendly operation without emissions.
The lightweight tilling machine weighs just 8.1 lbs. and has an ergonomically designed handle that reduces fatigue on the user’s hands. The handle also telescopes up and down so you can adjust the tiller’s height based on the user-height. Its soft grip helps you cultivate your garden beds without having to deal with blisters and soreness.
- Counter-oscillation prevents weeds from getting tangled in the tines
- Energy-star rated, eco friendly tool
- Lightweight, easy to maneuver, adjustable handle
- Not very good on hard soils
- More suited to light-duty weeding and tilling
4. Greenworks 27072 Corded Tiller
- Color: Green
- Weight: 29.3 Pounds
- Power Supply: Cordless
- Include: Folding Handle
The best garden tiller from Greenworks comes with an electric start up that eliminates harmful gas fumes. This is a forward-rotating tine with an adjustable coverage between 8.25 and 10 inches- which makes it suitable for tilling most small to mid-sized gardens. The versatile tiller from Greenworks also lets you adjust the tilling depth up to 5 inches so you can plant your seeds at the right planting depth.
Greenworks tiller is ergonomically designed and its compact folding design allows easy storage. The lightweight tiller weighs less than 30 lbs. You also get a limitless runtime with constant dependable power due to corded design. The tiller runs smoothly and noiselessly.
- Easy to maneuver and lightweight
- Easy storage and transport
- Gas-free, low emissions, eco friendly.
- Adjustable tilling depth
- Cord on some units gets unplugged and comes in the way
- Pins and washers come off from time to time
5. Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis Tiller
- Power Supply: Gas Powered
- Dimensions: 48 x 17 x 38 inch
- Include: Molded Grips, 1-piece Cast Gear Box, Folding Handle
The best type tiller for the garden should dig, till, and weed. And the Schiller Grounds Care 7920 Mantis does exactly that. It is ultra-lightweight yet powerful and also durable and built to last. In fact; the Mantis tiller claims to be the most lightweight tiller out there. Schiller 7920 Mantis garden tiller comes with a dependable 2-cycle engine which is located right over its tines.
The machine’s innovative design generates more power with less weight and easily breaks through clumps of soil and clay. The 7920 lightweight and compact tiller/cultivator from Schiller works on small and large raised garden beds and practically any size of plots.
Its soft, flared tines with easy-to-use controls allow comfortable and quick operation. The Mantis also comes with a carrying handle in between the side handles for easy transportation. You can also use various lawn/garden attachments with this tiller/cultivator to aerate the lawn, dethatch, edge, and plow the land within minutes.
- Easy to assemble
- Lightweight, easy to maneuver
- Easy to transport
- Sturdy and durable
- Repair/replacement of parts is tough
6. Yard Butler Rotary Cultivator Garden Tiller
- Dimensions: 5 x 8 x 33 inch
- Include: Adjustable Handle, Removable Blade
The hand-held tiller from Yard Butler quickly removes the top soil and weeds to help you garden and plant without too much stress and hassles. It is equipped with removable blades that help you even customize your tilling work based on the depth you want. Moreover, the Yard Butler’s adjustable handle prevents too much bending as you can adjust it to your comfort level.
It also helps you reach farther into the corners to help you pull out roots and weeds. Yard Butler powder-coated hand-held tiller has a length between 32 and 52 inches. It covers a width of 8 inches and weighs less than 4 lbs.
- Manual, easy to use operation
- Sturdy and durable
- Does not work on dry soil or clay
7. Earthquake MC440 Mini Cultivator
- Transmission: Gear Drive
- Fuel Type: Unleaded, No Mixing
- On/Off Switch: On Handle Bar
Powerful and clean, emission-free, gas-less, non-polluting tiller/cultivator from Earthquake is a top-rated tiller that needs no mixing of oil and gas. Its 40 cc, 4-cycle engine is powerfully built so you get the desired results within a short time. The 12802 MC440 mini tiller is built-to-last and comes with a high-quality air filter which is designed to leave dirt out of the engine.
You need not bend down to start and stop the engine as it has convenient buttons located right on the handlebars themselves. All in all; the Earthquake 12802 MC440 is genuine, powerful, innovative, rugged, tough, built-to-last, and also provides you complete value for money.
- Versatile machine: use it to weed, mulch, aerate, and mix in fertilizer
- Small, lightweight, compact, and easy to store and transport
- Maneuverable around delicate plants
- Oil leaks and stopping issues reported
8. TACKLIFE TGTL01A Advanced Tiller
- Noise Level: 93 db
- Speed: 380 RPM
- Power Supply: Electric
The TACKLIFE TGTL01A electric tiller is ideal for yards, gardens, and vegetable plots. It comes with 2adjustable tines that have a tilling width of 18-25 inches which is suitable for most tilling jobs. The reason why the TACKLIFE TGTL01A is powerful, stable, and efficient is owing to its 13.5 A powerful copper motor which can generate speeds of 380 rpm. This makes it very powerful for tilling hard top soil.
Easily prepare your garden for planting lovely fruits, flowers, and vegetables with the tiller’s optimal depth of 8-inches. The unit folds down to 25.2 x 21.7 x 17.7 inches making it very easy for storage and transportation. Other top features of the TACKLIFE TGTL01A are: easy plug and go operation, virtually noiseless engine, and continuous output.
- Easy to maneuver and lightweight
- Easy setup and assembly
- Overheating and smoking of engine reported
9. Mantis 3558 Cordless Tiller/Cultivator
- Fuel Type: Oil and Gas
- Speed: 2 speeds
- Power Supply: Cordless-Battery
The Mantis 3558 portable tiller and cultivator comes with two tilling speeds for versatility of applications. A higher speed comes in handy for tilling and lower speeds for cultivating. The Mantis does not need oil and gas and this makes it an eco friendly, low-emission machine.
It comes with a battery and charger and the long-lasting battery gets a lot done in a single charge. The Mantis is also fairly easy to assemble. Being lightweight, the machine is easy to maneuver.
- Versatile – weed, cultivate, till, and makeover flower beds
- Efficient 2-speed engine with superior digging and weeding power
- Durable steel tines handle any type of soil
- Easy to assemble, easy to maneuver
- Throws dirt around
10. SuperHandy Mini Tiller Cultivator
- Fuel Type: Gasoline & Oil
- Rotating Power: 7000RPMs
- Speed: 230RPMs
- Reduction Ratio: 30:1
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 1L Liter.
The mini tiller from SuperHandy Store is powerfully built to cultivate the driest of soils. It is equipped with a 3HP, 50 cc engine and advanced power-rotating tines that breeze through tough weeding and cutting tasks. The gas-powered SuperHandy cultivator comes with a 7000-rpm speed and also provides an excellent power to weight ratio for efficient tilling of clay or dry soils.
Use the tiller/cultivator to remake flower beds, plant seeds at a desired depth, and remove crabgrass, weeds, and stubborn roots. Note that this is an oil-based tiller which needs 30:1 gas to oil 90/93 Octane gasoline.
- Powerful engine
- Replaceable tines
- Rigorously tested and EPA certified
- Fumes and emissions
- High noise of 104 dB at 230 rpm
Factors to Consider When Selecting the Best Garden Tiller/Cultivator
Consider these factors when selecting the best garden tiller for your needs:
Your Garden/Land Size and Type of Soil
Consider the size of your garden. Typically, 8 to 16-inch wide cultivators/tillers get the task done for most mid-sized yards and gardens. Do consider the quality of your soil. For very hard soil or clay-soil, you will need a powerful machine.
Consider the tiller’s engine specifications: Select a unit that comes with a powerful engine having higher rpm, HP, and cc readings. This will help you cut through dry, clumpy soil with ease.
Ideally, you want to choose a cultivator/tiller for versatile applications like cutting through clay or dry earth, weeding, dirt removal, digging, tilling, remaking garden beds, planting, seeding, and aerating.
The last thing you want is a tiller that hurts your ears! If you go for a gas-powered unit which boasts a high HP, CC-rating, and higher speed of the order of 5000+rpm, then check its dB rating as well. Good-quality tillers ensure noise reduction and are tested, certified, and checked against set safety standards.
Lightweight and Easy to Maneuver
Based on your physical capabilities, you may want to choose a tiller that is easy to maneuver. A lightweight unit can be turned with ease and also transported easily. Avoid a tiller that requires too much bending.
Compact for Easy Storage
Foldable tillers limit the space they occupy when not in use. They are also easier to carry around or transport in the car.
Durable and Easy-to-Replace Parts
Tiller tines get damaged over time. Select a sturdy and durable model which at least comes with replaceable parts.
The best garden tiller is versatile, powerful, and cuts through hard soil with ease. It can be used for multiple tasks like aerating, weeding, tilling, and re-making beds. We recommend the Earthwise TC70001 tiller for its lightweight design, easy assembly and maneuverability, and long-lasting battery. Do check out our other recommendations as well.